Skip to main content

This site is best viewed with a modern browser. You appear to be using an old version of Internet Explorer.

Freedom to Speak Up (FtSU)

'Sharepoint' links point to the OUH intranet, which is accessible to staff with an OUH login. 'OXNET' is also an internal system.

If you have been unable to resolve your concerns informally (see Informal concerns) your concerns can be raised formally in person, by telephone or in writing (including email).

Explain as fully as you can the information or circumstances that gave rise to your concern.

Appendix 2 of the Freedom to Speak Up Policy ( gives further advice on raising a concern.

Independent advice is available from:

National Whistleblowing Helpline: 08000 724 725


Concerns can be raised to your Line Manager, Clinical Lead or Tutor.

If this is not appropriate, you can raise your concern via:

Once a concern is received, the FtSU Lead Guardian will be informed (if not already informed).

The FtSU Deputy Lead Guardian (Operational Manager) will identify and inform an independent manager who will be responsible for undertaking further investigation and review.

This may include informing your Divisional Head of Workforce if it is a Respect and Dignity at Work concern, or other senior manager with lead responsibility for the principal issue to which your concerns relate.

Wellbeing support

Escalating a concern

If you feel your concern is not being responded to, you can escalate your concern through the following route:

  1. FTSU Local Guardian
  2. FTSU Lead Guardian
  3. Chief Assurance Officer
  4. Non-executive Director (with lead responsibility for Freedom to Speak Up)
  5. Care Quality Commission

Last reviewed:14 March 2024