Skip to main content
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

This site is best viewed with a modern browser. You appear to be using an old version of Internet Explorer.

Audiology (Hearing Aid Department)

The Audiology Department carries out assessment of hearing and balance problems as well as looking after all those patients who use NHS hearing aids. We are closely associated with the Ear Nose and Throat Department and many of our patients come to us via the ENT consultants.


If you have difficulty with hearing or balance you should see your GP, who may then refer you to the ENT Department. Tests with the Audiology Department may form part of that consultation, either on the same day or at a separate visit, depending on the complexity of the tests.

If you are over the age of 60 and require assessment for a hearing aid you may not need to see a consultant; your GP can make a referral directly to the Audiology Department.


If you are concerned about your child's hearing, contact your GP or Health Visitor. They can refer you directly to our department for a hearing assessment. We will discuss the results with you, then refer you back to your GP who can discuss management. Your GP may want to refer you direct to a ENT consultant for further advice, in which case a hearing test will be part of that appointment.

If you are worried about your child's speech development it is important to rule out a hearing loss.

We also look after children who wear hearing aids for long-term or permanent hearing loss. If you need help with hearing aids or ear-moulds for your child, contact the department for an urgent appointment.

Special hearing needs

The department also specialises in the fitting of more advanced devices, such as bone-anchored hearing aids and cochlear implants to patients of all ages. These require complex surgery as well as audiological testing and long-term support, and the initial referral must be made via the ENT consultants.


If you suffer from tinnitus, a noise in the head or ears, you should first see your GP to exclude a treatable medical problem with the ears. The Audiology Department can offer counselling and support for anyone affected by tinnitus, by referral to our Hearing Therapist, or contact Action on Hearing Loss for further information.

Find us and contact us

John Radcliffe Hospital Audiology

Audiology is on LG1 of the West Wing, John Radcliffe Hospital.

All enquiries regarding referrals, appointments or hearing aid difficulties should be made to the following numbers.

  • For adults: 01865 234585
  • Hearing therapy: 01865 234880
  • For children: 01865 234445

You can also contact us by email.


Horton General Hospital Audiology

Enter the hospital via the Oxford Road entrance (the old main entrance) and the Audiology Department is a few metres along this corridor, on the right hand side and is clearly signposted.

Hearing aid repair clinics

Clinics operate regularly at the John Radcliffe Hospital and a number of other locations as follows:

  • Orchard Health Centre, Banbury
    Mondays 10.00am - 12.30pm
  • Horton General Hospital, Banbury
    Tuesdays 10.00am - 12.15pm
    Fridays 1.30pm - 4.30pm

  • Wantage Health Centre, Mably Way
    Second Wednesday of every month 1.30pm - 4.00pm
    Fourth Wednesday of every month 9.30am - 12.00pm
  • Witney Community Hospital
    First Wednesday of every month 9.30am - 12.30pm
    Second Thursday of every month 9.30am - 12.30pm
    Fourth Thursday of every month 9.30am - 12.30pm
  • Didcot Hospital
    Third Monday of every month 1.30pm - 4.30pm
  • Chipping Norton Hospital
    Fourth Tuesday of every alternate month (odd-numbered months only) 1.30pm - 4.30pm

NB: none of the above clinics will operate if the date is a Bank Holiday.

These are walk-in clinics for retubing and simple problems, but please note: patients requiring repair or adjustment to digital hearing aids must ring for an appointment:

Tel: 01865 234585


Batteries for NHS hearing aids are available free from most health centres and surgeries, or by posting the hearing aid record book and used batteries to: