Skip to main content
Clinical Haematology

This site is best viewed with a modern browser. You appear to be using an old version of Internet Explorer.

Moving and travel advice


If you are moving temporarily for education or more permanently for work, be it in the UK or abroad, it is important that you contact us to let us know.

If you need to move centre, we can prepare a transfer letter for you so that your new team knows about your previous history and treatments.

There is a list of Haemophilia Centres / Comprehensive Care Centres on this page.

If you are moving temporarily, we can arrange shared care with your local centre and arrange follow-up appointments with OHTC to suit you (e.g. outside term times).

Ensure you are registered with a GP and that they are aware of your condition and your repeat prescriptions, such as tranexamic acid.

Registering with a GP

How to register with a GP surgery - NHS website

Finding a haemophilia centre

UK haemophilia centre contact information - UKHCDO

European Haemophilia Network (EUHANET)

Find local support - World Federation of Hemophilia


If you are travelling and have a bleeding disorder, there may be extra precautions you have to take, especially if you are travelling with treatment or need specific vaccinations.

If you need travel letters, please contact us at least two weeks before your trip - you can email your request to:

Haemophilia Society travel information

Travel - The Haemophilia Society

Travel Insurance - The Haemophilia Society

Travelling with a disability or reduced mobility - The Haemophilia Society

Guide to safe travel

Before you leave

Talk to your haemophilia team about your travel plans to ensure you are healthy enough to travel.

Check if you need any vaccinations for your trip:

Fit for Travel

Vaccinations, such as hepatitis A and B, are highly recommended for people with bleeding disorders - you may have had these already.

Make a list of hospitals or hemophilia centres along your travel route and their contact details.

What to pack

Travel letter

Contact us at least two weeks in advance for a letter that describes your condition and the medicines you take.

You may need your travel letter translated into the primary language of the country you are travelling to.

Medication and supplies

Your travel letter will ensure your medicines and supplies are permitted on your person and in your carry-on luggage.

Medicine and medical supplies are exempt from airline carry-on luggage restrictions.

Clearly label all medicine and medical supplies and pack them separately in a carry-on bag. If items are safely stored in your carry-on, you will be able to use your items at any time, and you will have your items with you in case your checked luggage is delayed or lost.

If there are any items that should not be exposed to X-rays, request your items to be physically inspected by the transportation security official.

Unexpected travel delays can happen. Pack extra amounts of medicine and supplies in case your return home is delayed.


Pack these medical supplies in your carry-on, or in a bag you have with you at all times.

  • Tranexamic acid
  • Vials of factor medicine and diluent (liquid used to form or thin a solution - normal saline or sterile water are diluents that can be mixed with the factor powder)
  • Reconstitution device (used to mix factor with diluent)
  • Syringes and needles
  • Alcohol and cotton pads
  • Disinfectant
  • Containers to dispose of your used syringes (sharps)

Medical and contact information

Keep a copy of your important medical and contact information with you: consider carrying your last clinic letter and your bleeding disorders card.

Consider wearing a medical ID emblem if travelling alone, to help inform medical personnel if you become unconscious or unable to communicate during an emergency.

Ensure your emergency contact details are up to date on your smartphone. You may wish to also update medical information on your smartphone.

Last reviewed:22 April 2024