Skip to main content
Oxford Kidney Unit

This site is best viewed with a modern browser. You appear to be using an old version of Internet Explorer.

Further information and support

Charities / support groups

Six Counties Kidney Patients Association (SCKPA)

SCKPA is run by, and for, kidney patients.

SCKPA provides support and information for kidney patients, both at home or at meetings; this includes helping with holidays. It also raises funds for the Oxford Kidney Unit through subscriptions.

For £1 per year you will get the SCKPA magazine VIVA ( every three months) and regular copies of the National Kidney Federation magazine.

There are notice boards in the clinic areas where you can find information on who to contact at your local unit, or ask a member of staff.

Six Counties Kidney Patients Association (SCKPA)

National Kidney Federation (NKF)

National Kidney Federation (NKF)

Helpline: 0800 169 09 36 (free from UK Landlines and mobiles)

Kidney Care UK

Kidney Care UK
Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1EF

Tel: 01420 541424

Kidney Research UK

Kidney Research UK

Oxford Young Adult Clinic

Oxford Young Adult Clinic (YAC) is a unique community-based service set-up to help 16-30 year olds in the Thames Valley region who suffer from kidney failure.

The objectives of the clinic are to reduce isolation, help facilitate acceptance of dialysis or transplantation, reduce denial and make life saving organ transplants last for many years.

Oxford Young Adult Clinic (YAC)

Patients Know Best

Patients Know Best - support for kidney patients

Finance and benefits

The rules of the Department for Work and Pensions are complex and change frequently.

Please contact your local Jobcentre Plus office, or your local Citizens' Advice Bureau for expert advice.

Insurance and mortgages

You will need to declare your kidney failure on most life and insurance policies, including holiday insurance. The National Kidney Federation has details of 'kidney friendly' insurance companies.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

If you hold a motorcycle or car driving licence you do not need to inform the DVLA of your kidney condition. However, if you hold a bus, coach or lorry licence, then you are legally bound to inform them.

Useful links

Carers UK - information and support for carers

Carers UK

Tel: 0808 808 777

Citizens' Advice Bureau - free advice

Welcome to Citizens' Advice

Citizens' Advice

Pensions Advisory Service

The Pensions Advisory Service

Tel: 0800 011 3797

Diabetes UK

Diabetes UK

Helpline: 0345 123 2399

Blue Badge scheme (disabled parking)

Contact your local authority via GOV.UK

Last reviewed:07 February 2023