In this page
Clinical Genetics is a medical specialty which is concerned with the cause, course, diagnosis and treatment of genetic and part-genetic disorders.
The Oxford Regional Genetics Service is based at the Churchill Hospital in Oxford and provides a service for a population of approximately three million people across Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Northamptonshire and the Swindon area of Wiltshire.
The Clinical Genetics Service offers a family-based service providing genetic counselling for children and adults who have or who may be at risk of inheriting a genetic condition, and for conditions where genetic testing can be used for carrier detection or prenatal diagnosis. The Clinical Genetics Service liaises closely with many other departments in the hospital but particularly the Medical Genetics Laboratories and the Prenatal Diagnosis Service.
Genetic counsellors are qualified health professionals with specialist training and skills, who work with individuals and families that have or may have inherited genetic conditions. Each clinic has a genetic counsellor who can provide further information and support to patients. The genetic counsellors also have areas of special interest and use their varied backgrounds as a resource within the clinical team.
The clinical team meets regularly with the laboratory molecular genetic and cytogenetic teams to share knowledge and expertise. Both laboratories are located at the Churchill Hospital.
Our consultants also participate in several multidisciplinary clinics run by other hospital departments and external organisations, such as the Inherited Heart Disease Clinic. We maintain strong ties with the University of Oxford and other research groups working towards a greater understanding of genetic conditions.
Please look at the FAQs section of this website if you think you or a member of your family may need to be referred to the Clinical Genetics Service.
Go to top…
The Clinical Genetics Department is located on the Churchill Hospital site in Oxford.
- Department of Clinical Genetics
Oxford OX3 7LE
Telephone numbers for Clinical Genetics
Appointments and administration
- Appointments: 01865 226024
- 100,000 Genomes Project - Helen Stacey: 01865 226062
- Cancer Triage Office Administration - Violetta Hurdha: 01865 226028
- Research Office - Hellen Purnell: 01865 226045
- Fax: Orhfirstname.lastname@example.org
Medical Secretaries to:
- Dr Debbie Shears (Clinical Lead): 01865 226026
- Dr Edward Blair: 01865 226026
- Dr Helen Stewart: 01865 226026
- Prof Richard Gibbons: 01865 226026
- Dr Deidrie Cilliers: 01865 226020
- Dr Usha Kini: 01865 226020
- Prof Andrea Nemeth: 01865 226020
- Prof Andrew Wilkie: 01865 226020
- Dr Dorothy Halliday: 01865 225931 / 01865 226029
- Dr Lisa Walker: 01865 225931 / 01865 226029
- Dr Joyce Solomons: 01865 225931 / 01865 226029
- Barbara Stayner (Genetic Counsellor Manager): 01865 225989
- Prof Joanna Poulton: 01865 221007
Clinical Unit Manager
- Janet White: 01865 225476
Go to top…