The aim of this model is to provide focus and consistency to our approach to nursing and midwifery practice across the organization. However, to be effective the model needs to be thoroughly embedded. All Magnet recognised hospitals have a professional practice model (frequently known as a ‘PPM’) in place and the consistency this brings is usually tangible.
Participation in actively embedding the model is an expectation of all registered nurses and midwives and not just an invitation.
The following suggestions may be helpful in enabling the use of the model:
- The materials should be displayed and actively discussed in clinical areas. Particular elements may be used as team objectives or for audits, for example
- Individuals may use elements of the model as a reflective tool for Revalidation or appraisal and confirmers and appraisers should encourage the use of the model in this way
- Nurse and midwife leaders should use elements of the model for recruitment or for setting team and individual objectives
- Nurses and midwives who are undertaking continuing professional development may study elements of the model and its implementation as assignments. Pre-registration undergraduate students may also wish to use the model in this way.
- Nurses and midwives may use the model to explain their approach to professional practice to other members of the interdisciplinary team
- Practice Development Nurses and other leaders should ensure that the model is incorporated into induction programmes together with a meaningful discussion
- Divisional Nurses, Divisional Education & Practice Development Leads and Matrons will ensure that the model is effectively embedded in their areas
- The Nursing & Midwifery Board, chaired by the Chief Nurse, will ensure that policy developments are consistent with the model and will reflect upon ways of auditing. The model will be reviewed in 2018.
Feedback on the model is warmly welcomed and development sessions on it are available from the Magnet Program Director Professor Dickon Weir-Hughes: firstname.lastname@example.org